Invisalign is one of the most popular and effective ways to get a straighter smile. As the most trusted clear aligner brand, it’s backed by decades of science and offers the latest in orthodontic technology to guide your teeth into their optimal position. The clear aligners are specially designed to fit perfectly over your teeth, making them super comfortable and virtually invisible.
But sometimes, our Kelowna Invisalign patients ask us, “Why is my Invisalign popping off my back teeth?” If this happens to you, it’s usually nothing to worry about but it may be a sign that your treatment isn’t quite where we want it to be. The rule of them is this: the better your aligners fit, the better they’ll work and the more beautiful your Invisalign results will be. In this post, Straight Smiles will share:
- How Invisalign should fit
- Why your Invisalign aligners aren’t fitting properly
- How to get your Invisalign to fit correctly
How Should Invisalign Fit?
If you’re new to Invisalign, it can take a little bit of time to get used to how the aligners feel, but they should fit smoothly and snugly over your teeth from the beginning. That said, you may notice some small gaps around your teeth when you start a new set of aligners. That’s because each set is purposefully made for each stage of treatment and is designed to achieve specific tooth movements. As your teeth move into the correct position, they’ll fill in those spaces. By the time you’re ready to switch to the next set, there should be no more noticeable gaps.
Why Doesn’t My Invisalign Fit Properly?
Is your Invisalign popping off your back teeth? Feel like your clear aligners don’t fit one tooth (or more)? This is a common concern for many of our Kelowna Invisalign patients. As we’ve mentioned, while Invisalign aligners may not feel like they fit perfectly at first, they’ll become more comfortable as you make your way through treatment. But in some cases, ill-fitting Invisalign aligners may be cause for concern. Here are some things that can cause Invisalign not to fit properly:
- You’re wearing a brand new set of aligners: New aligners represent the end point of that stage of treatment, so your teeth haven’t achieved those movements yet. You just need to massage your aligners down a bit to get a smoother fit and they’ll start to fit better as your teeth shift into place.
- You’re not wearing your aligners for 22 hours a day: Remember when you started Invisalign and Dr. Scramstad told you to wear your aligners for at least 22 hours a day? Well, he meant it! As a general dentist practicing orthodontics, he’s your expert on how long to wear Invisalign aligners. If you don’t follow your Invisalign dentist’s orders, you risk delaying your treatment time because your aligners won’t fit correctly. To get the most out of your Invisalign treatment, only remove your aligners to eat, drink, brush and floss. Otherwise, keep them in!
- Your aligners are damaged: Invisalign aligners are durable but they can become damaged if not cared for properly. Washing them in hot water (or drinking hot beverages with your aligners in) can warp the plastic, which will affect how they fit. Make sure to take your aligners out even for drinks, and to only wash them in lukewarm water, so they’ll last for as long as you need them.
What to Do If Invisalign Aligners Aren’t Fitting
There are a few ways to ensure your Invisalign aligners fit exactly as they should. When you put in your aligners, push them down over the front teeth first and then apply pressure to the molars until the aligners snap into place. Then use your thumbs to press along the entire surface of the aligners to fully seal them over your teeth.
If your aligner isn’t quite fitting over one tooth, it usually means there’s a gap between the tooth and the aligner. That’s what Invisalign chewies are for: they give you something to bite down on to help eliminate gaps, remove air bubbles and improve the way your aligners fit. We recommend using your chewies for about 10 to 15 minutes a day, especially when you first switch to a new set of aligners. Here’s how to use Invisalign chewies:
- Place the Invisalign bite stick between your upper and lower teeth and simply bite down a few times. Then hold down firmly in place for about five seconds.
- Move along the biting surfaces of your teeth so you get every tooth.
- Spend a little extra time anywhere you feel like you might have air bubbles.
- When you’re done, wash your Invisalign chewy with unscented mild dish soap and lukewarm water and let it air dry. Reuse as needed until the chewy loses elasticity.
- Make sure to use your chewies first thing in the morning and before you go to sleep, so that you’ll have the best fit possible throughout the day and all night!
If you think your Invisalign doesn’t fit properly, or you have questions about your progress with Invisalign, don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment with your Kelowna orthodontic specialists. Contact Straight Smiles today.