So, Dr. James Scramstad of Straight Smiles has told you that the best option for straightening your teeth is Invisalign clear aligner therapy.
You’re excited to try out these trays because they’re removable and practically invisible. No one in your high school will notice that you’re getting your teeth fixed!
But, in the back of your mind, you’re worried you’ll forget to wear them because they need to be worn for 20-22 hours a day. We get it. Life gets busy, teenagers tend to forget things sometimes. Here are 7 tips on how to remember to actually wear your Invisalign.
1. The number one tip we have is to remember the importance having them on your teeth. Before you even worry about losing or forgetting your Invisalign aligners, you need to realize just how important it is to wear them. If you don’t wear your trays, your teeth will not straighten. Period. The more you forget to wear them, the longer your treatment will be. You’ll also have to head back to Straight Smiles to get new aligners created for your teeth.
2. Always put your Invisalign trays in the case when you take them out to eat. You’ll reduce the risk of losing them or accidentally throwing them away if they are hidden in a napkin.
3. When you take your Invisalign out to eat, set an alarm for 30 minutes to remind you it’s time to put your trays back in. If you’re not done your meal in 30 minutes, hit snooze for 10 minutes.
4. Don’t be shy about asking for help if you’re forgetful. Ask your parents, your girlfriend or boyfriend or your best friends to remind you to wear your trays. Tell them that you want them to ask why you’re not wearing your Invisalign, which will cause a light to go off in your brain to put them in.
5. Look online for photos of what people’s teeth look like when they stopped using their Invisalign. Their teeth may become straight once they start using the trays again, but it’s going to take a lot longer. That’s the same thing that will happen to you if you don’t wear them. Imagine having to wear them for double the time. Do you want that? No, probably not, so wear your aligners.
6. Write down the Invisalign instructions that Straight Smiles gave you. Just like studying for a test in high school, rewriting what you need to remember will help keep it in your mind. If you write down the instructions once a week, you’ll be more likely to keep it in your internal schedule.
7. Put a note on your mirror, in your wallet, on your dash of your car or put an alarm on your phone and have them all say “Wear Your Invisalign”. This will be a constant reminder to check if your Invisalign are in and if they’re not, go get them.
Wearing your Invisalign will become second nature with time. Don’t beat yourself up if you forget to wear your Invisalign for a day, but try not to make it a routine of forgetting. Today, clear Invisalign aligners are a saviour for high school students like yourself. Don’t waste this miracle because if you do, your teeth may not become straight and your parents and Dr. Scramstad may suggest metal braces instead.
If you have any questions regarding Invisalign Teen, contact Straight Smiles today. Dr. James Scramstad will be able to answer any questions you have and may even be able to provide you with a couple more personal tips.